Saturday, May 21, 2011

Say What?!

 I am not a stranger to taking foreign language classes. I have had several Spanish classes throughout elementary school and high school. In college I also took some French classes. Unfortunately none of it really stuck in my head, so I was really excited that joining the Peace Corps would mean that I would learn a new language and that I would really learn it because it would be an important part of my work in the country. Here I am two months into living in Bulgaria, two months into intense language lessons and... I still feel like I hard hardly know anything. I still cringe when I buy something and the seller says something outside the normal, simple script that only involves ‘hello’ and ‘how much.’ Most of the time I just throw down more money then is needed because I don’t understand what is said when the total is told to me. I get so frustrated when my Bulgarian friends try to help me and I understand nothing they say because I have learned everything they are saying before but it gets so mixed up in my head and what comes out is a mixture of French, German, Bulgarian, English and whatever else is floating around the depths of my brain. I know I will learn more as time goes on and that I have only been here two months. I have a strong desire to learn Bulgarian so bad that it blinds me to the progress I have made. I just need to remember 'споко' (relax)

4 comments:

  1. I had a blog post very similar to this one: http://daniellevaughn.blogspot.com/2011/04/bulgaria.html. Just skip to the last two paragraphs or so, then go listen. :) Hang in there Jake, we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously you will be fine. EVERYONE feels the same way at some point. Trust me, you just can't be afraid of looking like a dumbass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahahahahah LOST IN TRANSLATION ARENT YOU :D
    ITS SO FUNNY TO READ YOUR BLOG :)) Keep on Going you will learn that Bulgarian in no time ;))) and dont be shy .. if someone helps you :)
    I would but thats the path ... the right one ;)
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete