Sunday, March 11, 2012

Reason to celebrate


One of my favorite things about Bulgaria is how Bulgarians are always finding reasons to celebrate. On the first of March was a really nice Bulgarian holiday called Baba Marta. It is the offical end of winter and it is marked by Bulgarians exchanging red and white bracelets called "martenitsi." They are suppose to wear these bracelets until they see a stork, a sign that winter is over because they birds have returned from their winter migration. When they see one of these birds they remove a bracelet and tie it to a tree branch. This as easily become one of my favorite Bulgarian holidays not only because it means that winter is over but also because giving and getting these bracelets was very enjoyable. Teachers usually get one from their students and in turn usually have both wrists covered in red and white strings. Since I'm a teacher I was no exception. Walking down the halls at school some children who I don't even teach were tying these martenitsi to my wrist telling me to make a wish. When the day finally ended it took the better part of the afternoon tried to remove most of them. I'm already looking forward to this holiday next year and continuing this tradition in the states when I return home.
      Also, last week was International Women's Day, a day that I didn't even know existed until I came to Bulgaria. I know that this holiday isn't limited to Bulgarian because I saw some of my friends from different countries commenting on the day for women. At school some of the children were giving their female teachers flowers and on the streets most people would tell women who passed by "Happy Holiday." That night my crew and I went to a restaurant to celebrate and it was full of people also celebrating. Some more flowers were handed out, followed by a nice meal, and some dancing. After this rough winter I can see why there have been so many holidays both during winter as well as right after, it is so easy to staying in your warm home turning cold days but these days really get you out to be social and it really nice because it makes the days more enjoyable because you are spending some forced but very pleasant time with friends

1 comment: