Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A year ago

One year ago today I left my home in New Mexico and started my Peace Corps service, this is what I wrote in my journal on March 27th, 2011

I am finally going back to Europe, but this time I am going back to live there! This is it, I have taken my first step towards a major life change. I am joining the Peace Corps and I will be heading to Bulgaria in a matter of hours (2 days really). I applied almost a year ago so I have had more than enough time to really mull over this but it wasn't until I left Albuquerque that I came to the realization that this is real. This morning I got on a plane and flew away from New Mexico not knowing when the next time I will see it again. I honestly always wondered how that would feel and I have to say it was more emotional than I ever thought it would be. The flight out was beautiful and added to the somber mood I was in. The sun was rising just as we took off, there were more clouds than normal and they reflected the light of the new day in a spectacular display that could only be produced in the New Mexican sky, and as we flew through the clouds Albuquerque disappeared through the blue and orange fog. It felt like the world was covering my home with a warm colored blanket protecting it and all that I love until I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment